The purposes for which the Council is established are to promote and encourage:
- the development and conservation of the State Library collection as a national resource for public reference and scholarly research;
- the use of the State Library by the community as a major cultural venue;
- the provision of high-quality facilities for Library users in general and for special-interest groups;
- the management of the Library on a basis that will facilitate collegiality, specialisation and professional development among the staff, and provide for the most productive interaction with the public;
- the provision of adequate public funding to the State Library so that it may properly fulfil these roles.
We are bound by a set of rules lodged with Consumer Affairs Victoria.
You can download a full set of our rules here.